Home Services Landlord Certification

Plumbing and Heating

Our Services

Contact Us

Our Normal Hours

For all of your general plumbing and heating needs within the Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Newport - South Wales areas.

We  also undertake Bath and

Wet-Rooms installations.

e: craig@crbainesheating .co.uk

m: 07825 999 510

o:  01454 279 732

Emergency and ‘out of hours’ appointments are available



8AM to 6PM

10AM to 4PM

© CR Baines Plumbing and Heating Ltd    |    1995 - 2019   |    All rights reserved    |    Website by  OdysseyWEB



07825 999 510

Get a quote
10 Year Guarantee on installations

What are your responsibilities as a Landlord?

Guidance from the Health and Safety Executive in the UK, states that as a Landlord, any gas appliance that you own and provide for the tenant's use is included in your legal duties.  If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, then you have responsibilities for parts of the associated installation and pipework, but not for the actual appliance.

There are some good practice measures that you should adopt with appliances that tenants own:

Send a reminder to the tenant that their appliances should be serviced and checked for safety each year by a Gas Safe registered engineer which CR Baines Plumbing and Heating (reg. No. 549988) are,and, where possible offer to include these (at reasonable cost) within gas safety maintenance undertaken on your behalf.

At the start of the tenancy, advise the tenant of any flues or chimneys that are unsuitable for the installation of a gas appliance.  You may also wish to consider regulating the installation of any appliance by a tenant through the conditions of the tenancy agreement.

It is also recommended to include all flues (e.g. chimneys) connected to gas appliances within your landlord's gas safety check, even where they do not serve appliances provided by the landlord. This may also help to fulfil other legal duties under the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.

Free-standing cookers connected by a flexible connector (bayonet fitting), are not considered to be ‘readily movable’, but can be moved, temporarily, e.g. to clean the space they normally occupy; this type of activity is not regarded as ‘work’ within the meaning of these Regulations.

Any other type of installation/reinstallation is regarded as gas work and must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Can I delegate responsibility to tenants for maintenance and gas safety checks?

No, except that a contract may be drawn up between a landlord or tenant for an appliance or flue installed in a non-residential part of a premises, for example shops and public houses.  Your tenant has a duty not to use an appliance they believe to be dangerous.  Further, a tenancy agreement, such as a full repairing and insuring lease, cannot be used to transfer these responsibilities to a tenant.

What if I use a managing/letting agent?

If a managing agent is used to help you meet your duties, make sure that the management contract clearly specifies who is to make the arrangements for maintenance and safety checks.  HSE strongly advises that you request to see copies of the maintenance information and safety check from the management agency to ensure maintenance has been completed, which will also help to fulfil your other legal duties.

Should I provide my tenants with a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm?

HSE strongly recommends the use of CO alarms as one useful precaution to give tenants advance warning of CO in the property.  CR Baines Plumbing and Heating will gladly install the alarm(s) where they/it are needed in line with the manufacturer's instructions, ensuring they/it complies with British Standard EN 50291 and carries a British or European approval mark, and appropriate Kitemark.  Importantly, alarms should not be regarded as a replacement for regular maintenance and safety checks by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Avon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service recommend Fire Angel as being suitable for domestic use .  CR Baines Plumbing and Heating will happily supply and fit this brand as and where necessary.

On 1 Oct 2015 the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 came into force.  From that date, private rented sector landlords have been required to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every floor of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room where solid fuel is used.  After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.   The Department for Communities and Local Government has published an explanatory booklet to help landlords to understand and comply with the requirements.

Health and Safety Executive


Business No.

Smoke and CO alarms FAQ 46 KBs.pdf

Fire and smoke alarms FAQs